Sunday, August 26, 2012

Top 6 Stories to Get You in a Spooky Mood

Autumn needs to start happening. I wrote my top 13 reasons why I love fall and now I'm moving on to the best stories that'll get everyone ready for the witching hour.

1. Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. You'll actually feel for this "monster."



2. The Witch's Life by Anne Sexton. Great imagery, great word choices. And, if I'm reading it right, this poem is saying that kids make lovely, sain women turn into grumpy old witches.

Before
After 
3. The Legend of Sleepy Hallow by Washington Irving. Loved the old Disney movie, love the book even more.

Thanks to Sleepyhallowpumpkins.com

4. The Skeleton at the Feast: The Day of the Dead in Mexico by Elizabeth Carmichael and Chloe Sayer. This informational book explores the culture in Mexico and how Dia De Los Muertos (my favorite holiday) is celebrated. Get a used paperback from around $5.



5. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. The follow-up novel to Interview With a Vampire, this novel follows Lestat (Tom Cruise's character) as he goes on a search to discover his own origins. After you read this, you'll want to throw your town's version of The Vampire Ball. (Send me photographic goodness if you do and I'll feature you on the blog!)

Anne Rice's mansion in New Orleans where The Vampire Ball was originally held

6. Wicked by Gregory Maguire. The play is good. The book is even better (books are always better because you get to use your own imagination.) This novel gets a little naughty, so hide it from the munchkins. It portrays the Wicked Witch of the West's side of the story of Oz, before Dorothy came and ruined it all.

Learn more here

And to warm your heat a bit, here's a picture my nephew drew of Halloween:

My favorite piece of art

And here is Baby Panther photobombing it:

Someone gets jealous




No comments: