Thursday, August 23, 2012

Afternoon on a Hill by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I'd like to bring my readers more poetry from women. Small sample of words for motivation and inspiration. With fall coming up soon, I am in a nature-y mood. So today's poem is from a woman known for her Bohemian lifestyle.


"Afternoon on a Hill"
By Edna St. Vincent Millay

I will be the gladdest thing
 Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
 And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
 With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
 And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
 Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
 And then start down!





Picture of Barbarano Vicentino, Province of Vicenza, Italy, courtesy of  Milton's Manor.


Read more about Edna St. Vincent Millay here.

No comments: